OT: Other System - Split from Bob's last message Thread

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: Bob's last message

Postby WurstWerner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 am

While I didn't see or take part in Bob's last message, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in on the banter about the 'bad system' turn that this thread has taken.

Over the past twenty-odd years working as a sound tech, I've learned a few things, one being that although you are only as good as your last gig, I try not to judge other techs by what I hear when I walk in on a mix. I've seen great Soundmen pull of attrochious mixes, and I've done my share myself. It happens, and sometimes there isn't any real clearcut reason for it, it's not allways the room, the gear, or the band, sometimes it's the guy behind the console having a bad day.

The other is that if you have ever mixed on a perfectly alligned, and tuned system in a good room with a decent act, you already know that a seven year old girl could get her FOH brownie badge for pulling off a decent mix; it doesn't take talent to mix in near perfect situations, just about any human on the planet that has heard music can pull that off. While I do get the pleaseure of working on a nice Cherry Rig in a nice Cherry Room, and even with a mature competent local crew from time to time, I assure you that if that was the norm I would be out of a job.

My job is, and allways has been to get some semblance of consistent quality for the act that I am working with. It doesn't matter what type of cabinets are flown or stacked at the venue, what type or brand of power amps are driving the rig, or if the room sounds like a giant boomy tuna can - I'm paid to get a certain result regardless of what is thrown at me. I understand all of the physics involved in setting up a rig, but all of that doesn't amount to much when you walk into a room at 5:30 and the doors open at 7:00. For me, it's allways been about making do with what I have, not dreaming about what I could do if you had everything stacked in my favour; it's listening and reacting to what I hear, not looking for an excuse to point my finger at if I fail to get my desired result.

If someone thinks that carpeted cabinets don't sound very good, all I can say is don't look at them.

+1
WurstWerner

Postby soundguy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 am

Andy Hamm wrote:My job is, and allways has been to get some semblance of consistent quality for the act that I am working with. It doesn't matter what type of cabinets are flown or stacked at the venue, what type or brand of power amps are driving the rig, or if the room sounds like a giant boomy tuna can - I'm paid to get a certain result regardless of what is thrown at me. I understand all of the physics involved in setting up a rig, but all of that doesn't amount to much when you walk into a room at 5:30 and the doors open at 7:00. For me, it's allways been about making do with what I have, not dreaming about what I could do if you had everything stacked in my favour; it's listening and reacting to what I hear, not looking for an excuse to point my finger at if I fail to get my desired result.

From the perspective of a mixer hired by a band using third party audio, you are absolutely correct. You do what you gotta do to make it sound good on short notice.

But I think the OT comment about the bad sound system was about the job the installers did. I'm fortunate that when I tour, the hired sound is of high enough caliber that I don't have to work too hard to make it happen. 50% of the time, it's just pushing up faders as you suggested ... if the system is not underpowered. 30% of the time, working the system GEQ with program music before the show improve things things adequately. But the other 20% of the time, it's hard work because of a poorly designed system, and typically it's a bunch of pieced together mismatched parts with poor processing between the mixer outs and the amp racks ... or even the whole path after the mixer. In those situations I make it known to the talent buyers that the system is sub-standard.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby sjpaul » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:56 am

I'm assuming the Studiolive comment was meant to be tongue in cheek...

I run one and it's a very clean sounding board, mostly using it with Nexo PS10's for small FOH use and the clarity is superb.
sjpaul

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion