New Mac or New Windows

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

New Mac or New Windows

Postby soundguy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:47 am

Not trying to start a "which is better" argument, but since Windows can run on Mac computers I thought this article may be of interest to some here. particularly those getting ready to buy a new laptop. In this CNET article, a long time Windows user has finally been won over by the new MacBook Pro with retina display.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57457 ... m-windows/

Soundguy
soundguy

Re: New Mac or New Windows

Postby shmick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:49 pm

That guy is running multiple web browsing windows and a twitter client. He didn't buy the newest MBP with retina display because he needed the processing power and memory, he bought it so he could write an article about. The retina display comes in handy for those doing real multimedia work like photo or video editing. The real kicker with the new MBPr is that you have to get the retina display model if you want/need all the extra resources. I'm also pissed off that the dedicated ethernet jack has been removed from the new retina display MBP. While wireless is available for about 80% of what I do, I do need wired ethernet and having to carry another dongle is not ideal. I already lost the dedicate DVI port from my 2007 MBP when I got a 2011 MBP and have to use a mini display port to DVI adapter in order to use my 24" external monitor.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby soundguy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Things change with every new laptop release, including things you wish did not. This happens more often in Mac world. I bought a new Lenovo T420 about six months ago and also have a "display port" of some sort for HD instead of DVI or HDMI (I have a converter), but still have an RGB port that works well enough for computer work. My external monitors still have both inputs.

Anyway, this guy preferred it over his recent Windows purchases, whatever his reason or motivation. YMMV. I like 'em, but can't afford 'em.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby shmick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I won't fault the guy for picking a Mac, I'll always pick a mac over a PC, but mostly because I love OSX compared to Windows. I also have a bunch of virtual machines running via VirtualBox on my mac. I'm also fortunate enough to have my employer foot the bill for my MacBook Pros, iPad and iPhone, though I did purchase my own iMac for the home office. I purchased the iMac through Apple's "refurb" site which looks and feels like a new iMac, but came in a generic brown box instead of the fancy white apple box. It even came with all the protective stickers and everything. Once it was out of the box, there would be no way to distinguish it from a new iMac and it even comes with the same warranty! I've done this for years with iPods and they've always been great.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Return to SAC Discussion