26 mic corporate job

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

26 mic corporate job

Postby johnnydee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Last week we finished a 6 day corporate job with our SAC setup. Performed perfect.

They wanted 22 table mics setup to be voice activated. We used a gate setting to achieve this. 2 additional mics were lav's and 2 were wireless handhelds.

6 speakers set up around a small conference room with 40 people and a u shaped table setup. In addition, we had a telephone line tied into the system for 2 way communication.

The killer part was that it was a secret meeting and we were not allowed to be in the room with them. Our main setup was in a closet. We had to sit out in the hotel lobby with our wireless tablet remote to monitor what was going on in the room. This was every day from 7:30am to 6:00pm. Pretty boring...LOL. This is the second year we have done this for the client.
johnnydee

Re: 26 mic corporate job

Postby shmick » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Neat. I do find it hilarious that you're not allowed in the room even though you can hear and even record everything being said.

Why wouldn't they just make you sign an NDA / Privacy agreement and call it a day?
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby IraSeigel » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 pm

You were lucky that a gate setting worked on the table mics. I use a Shure automixer in the same circumstances. It's only an 8-ch, but works great. It's a cheaper unit than the Dan Dugan automixer, but fills the need.
IraSeigel

Postby jlepore » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 pm

I would up using the gate thing for a bunch of desk mics for a small corporate - worked pretty good - just used them with a higher floor so they would cut out mostly, but still come up quick. Worked quite well, and when listening to the recording later, it wasn't a huge dead-quiet -> full volume thing .. sounded a bit more natural with some constant background noise.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm

jlepore wrote:I would up using the gate thing for a bunch of desk mics for a small corporate - worked pretty good - just used them with a higher floor so they would cut out mostly, but still come up quick. Worked quite well, and when listening to the recording later, it wasn't a huge dead-quiet -> full volume thing .. sounded a bit more natural with some constant background noise.

+1, that's where gates with floor or range settings are a necessity. Cut them back by 10db or so and it's not as noticeable.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby johnnydee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Why wouldn't they just make you sign an NDA / Privacy agreement and call it a day?

We questioned that as well. However, they didn't want to go that route.
johnnydee

Return to SAC Discussion