Is it all over for SAW?

Discussions about SAW Studio (all versions)

Is it all over for SAW?

Postby dominicperry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:25 pm

So, given the discussion in the SAC forum here about AirConsoles etc, can we be reasonably certain that SAW development is now over? Will we even see the 'Win8' updates which were added to SAC 3.1?

I really get the impression I'm flogging a dead horse here.

Dominic
dominicperry

Re: Is it all over for SAW?

Postby jlepore » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 am

:horse:

Yes, you are :mrgreen:
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby soundguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:26 pm

At NAMM, the CEO of the "new" company told me directly that SAW and SAC are "over". I assume that means that they are taking over control of any new updates which will only be available by purchasing the new product, and sales and updates of old SAC and SAW will be forbidden.

This is not uncommon when these types of deals go down. I was in the middle of something similar a few years back and got screwed ... but screwing the customer after he gets your money has always been the business model of Bob L. It's why his business has failed.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby dominicperry » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 pm

So the real question for me then is, what's the chance that they will update SAW, rather than drop it entirely?

I'm not too bothered about the whole ethics question. I don't like the endless unfulfilled promises, but in the past Bob has done what he said he would, it's just recently that there's been silence and censorship. I'm more interested in whether there's any future for SAW at all. Maybe no-one knows.

Dominic
dominicperry

Postby jlepore » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm

soundguy wrote:At NAMM, the CEO of the "new" company told me directly that SAW and SAC are "over". I assume that means that they are taking over control of any new updates which will only be available by purchasing the new product, and sales and updates of old SAC and SAW will be forbidden.

This is not uncommon when these types of deals go down. I was in the middle of something similar a few years back and got screwed ... but screwing the customer after he gets your money has always been the business model of Bob L. It's why his business has failed.

Soundguy

Well, the store is still online, and of course he will never mention anything about being out of business - might still get someone trying to buy something. I assume with the announcement of the end of the product, it will appear on some shareware site pretty quick.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby soundguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:01 pm

dominicperry wrote:So the real question for me then is, what's the chance that they will update SAW, rather than drop it entirely?

I get the feeling some version of SAW will be internal with the SAC based mixer for recording in the background. Of course, we are making the assumption that this thing even gets off the ground. What I saw in the video was crude beyond anything you normally see introduced at a trade show. At the trade show were some skeleton frames in a "back room". There was nothing drawing people into the booth regarding this product. I got the feeling they could not get anything together in time for the show, even though Bob has been hinting for many months about a deal with a "hardware" company brewing.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby soundguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:07 pm

jlepore wrote:Well, the store is still online, and of course he will never mention anything about being out of business - might still get someone trying to buy something. I assume with the announcement of the end of the product, it will appear on some shareware site pretty quick.

I haven't looked in years, but up-to-the-minute current versions of SAW were always available on the "secret" sites, fueling the rumor that Bob l. was putting them up there himself to promote his product.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby randyhyde » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

soundguy wrote:At NAMM, the CEO of the "new" company told me directly that SAW and SAC are "over". I assume that means that they are taking over control of any new updates which will only be available by purchasing the new product, and sales and updates of old SAC and SAW will be forbidden.

We shall have to wait and see.

Soundguy

I'm not real sure how Bob has screwed everyone. They got the product they purchased. It still works the same way today (maybe even better) as when they purchased it. Yeah, Bob may have promised a lot of things, but as I've learned personally if you read too much into those promises you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed; not really Bob's fault, though.

Granted, SAW users got a bit of a shaft with the name change/different product fiasco. But to be honest, I'd buy SAC over again if it were dramatically improved (the bug fixes and minor enhancements I've seen the past couple of years don't really qualify). If AIR really does take over SAC/SAW I'd be happy to buy it all over again if there were some real improvements (and the price doesn't get crazy). Granted, I'm headed more towards a different console anyway, but I'll always use SAC for gigs where the name doesn't count and the quality needs to be decent... Whether Bob ever updates it again doesn't really matter. SAC has earned enough to cover itself (and the hardware). Can't really ask for more than that.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby mycorn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:07 am

+1

ROI in well under a year...

...6 years ago

i moved on rather than wait/hope

fwiw
mycorn

Postby soundguy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:17 pm

randyhyde wrote: Whether Bob ever updates it again doesn't really matter. SAC has earned enough to cover itself (and the hardware). Can't really ask for more than that.

mycorn wrote:ROI in well under a year...

Wow, are you guys friggin' kidding me? Is your bar so low that you consider making $500 in a "under a year" to cover adequate ROI? Or is it $1500 when you add in the cost of the XP computer and a handful of Behringer AD/DA? You "can't ask for more than that"?

Really? That's the deal for you? Good news. Just increase your rental income by about 2000% per year and you may get close to the poverty line for a family of four in the U.S.

Soundguy
soundguy

Next

Return to SAW Discussion