ADA8000 power supply

Links to other Products, Shades, etc. for use with SAC and SAW

ADA8000 power supply

Postby AntonZ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I know there is not much love for the Behringer pre's to be found here. Now I'm not depending on this for a living. Also, I can currently not spend much on more reliable pre's. It seems I'm stuck with these for now. Perhaps I can afford an ADA8200 when they become available ;) . So, with that out of the way, here goes.

There are two ADA8000 in my little rig. A while ago one of them started giving occasional static ticks on the outputs. So I have that one on input duty only. It seems the likely cause for this is overheating of voltage regulators in the power supply. Today I popped the lid off and looked at ways to get rid of some heat. I am in the process of taking the voltage regulators (all 6 of them) off the main circuit board and mount them on the sides. That seems to me like the best position to get the heat out of the case instead of from the regulators into other parts. No problem getting 3 on the far side, the others are more of a challenge. I believe I have now found room for all. Still working on it.

Two regulators were sitting very close to two capacitors that are hardly up to their task anyway without being overheated. So now that I've got the circuit board out of the box, I have replaced these capacitors with new higher capacity, higher temp rated models.

If anyone is interested, I can make a few pictures before I put the lid back on. Fingers crossed I don't short circuit anything before that :mrgreen:
AntonZ

Re: ADA8000 power supply

Postby Andy Hamm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 pm

I have been thinking about doing something about this for a while now, so tonight I started a new project. I'm installing 3 ADA8K's and a MOTU 2408 into a single 3U rack enclosure. It represents one 24 channel unit, with less mess floating around inside of the rack and it allows me to easily use 1 new PSU for all 3 ADA8K's.

I'll also be making a few other improvements, like attempting a VST controlled gain control, individual channel phantom power capability, possibly input pads and output metering.
When I came home late last night.....
The wife left a note on the fridge:
"It's not working, I can't take it anymore!!
Gone to stay with my Mother."
I opened the fridge, the light came on, and the beer was cold.........
What the hell is she talking about??????
Andy Hamm

Re: ADA8000 power supply

Postby AntonZ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I have been thinking about such things as well. Someone proposed an external power supply, e.g. get a few decent switch mode ps modules together in a 1u case and feed up to 3 or 4 ADA's. Decided it was too much trouble for these pre's. The ps mod works for me, so far. Fingers crossed 8-)
AntonZ

Return to Add On Products