Brett Brandon SAW Question

Discussions about SAW Studio (all versions)

Re: Brett Brandon SAW Question

Postby BrettBrandon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 am

:horse:
BrettBrandon

Postby soundguy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

jlepore wrote:sawstudiouser.com - the best fertilizer on the web :) I have to admit, it is quite funny reading some of the stuff over there these days.

Yeah, there is a thread over there now about how SAC can be acceptable on contract riders because one guy who does corporate shows used his rig for a couple of name artists at corporate events. I love the guys who have clearly never even seen a rider, discuss how a rider is written.

And guess what? When doing a corporate show (and I've done a dozen or so traveling with the artist), no one gives a shit, and it's common to end up with substandard staging and production gear, because you end up using the corporate arranged gear that they couldn't organize correctly to save their lives regardless of what it says on your rider or how many phone calls you make. The audience is usually a bunch of tight asses who don't even know who is performing, and get drunk and yell at each other during the whole show to be heard over the music that is annoying them. There is no house production or stage manager to speak of, so you do your best to get through the day and take the over-sized check (WAY more than normal concert fee) and go home laughing and relieved to get the hell out of town.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby jlepore » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 am

Yeah, I found it quite funny that the guy that owns the system finds it acceptable for a show he's running. Did he write himself a rider? Seems like a lot of that "please post a picture to make it look like people can use this for big shows".
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby soundguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 pm

jlepore wrote:Yeah, I found it quite funny that the guy that owns the system finds it acceptable for a show he's running. Did he write himself a rider? Seems like a lot of that "please post a picture to make it look like people can use this for big shows".

What's even funnier is DG's link to his price page. $240 for a 24 track system, plus $20 hour for techs? Really? Most techs/FOH guys I know get 2-3 times that just for showing up with NO gear. :lol: And yeah, I've done recent shows in Texas.

Nothing wrong with offering a competitive price if that's what the local market calls for (if you can work with it), but that money is so far from the reality of typical concert pay structure that it's hilarious. Even hotel gigs pay more. He couldn't afford to use anything but SAC and a couple speakers on sticks ... and then he's *gotta* be losing money by undercutting everybody.

Soundguy
soundguy

Previous

Return to SAW Discussion