Less than 90 days till XP is EOL!

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Less than 90 days till XP is EOL!

Postby shmick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Re: Less than 90 days till XP is EOL!

Postby randyhyde » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Really won't change much for SAC users.
After all, you really shouldn't be running a SAC computer on the internet (where viruses and other issues and the main reason for needing continued XP support).
FWIW, XP Embedded is still being offered and supported.
randyhyde

Postby BrentEvans » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Win XP will continue to work exactly as it did the day before it was discontinued until you can't load it on a machine any longer. We'll see if they hold to this anyway... this is what, the third sunset date for XP? Maybe they "really really" mean it this time.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:00 pm

randyhyde wrote:Really won't change much for SAC users.
After all, you really shouldn't be running a SAC computer on the internet (where viruses and other issues and the main reason for needing continued XP support).
FWIW, XP Embedded is still being offered and supported.

Well I for one still keep all my machins up to date with all the latest patches and keep at least MS security esentials running. Why? Because even though I keep my production computers off the internet except to run updates, you never know when someone is going to pop in an infected thumb drive or plug in a laptop to my network with some problem, etc.... Better safe than sorry I think. I would say this has saved my ass at least once every 6 months or so, when windows catches and disinfects someones thumb drive... ocasionally even my own removable drives.

Doesn't really mean XP is no good anymore, but if could be a problem in the future, and eventually your machines that can run xp will die off. Which is why the keep using XP mentality of a certain developer has always anoyed me.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Return to Other DAW Discussion