Behringer X32

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Re: Behringer X32

Postby jlepore » Tue May 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Rack or Core? Rack has 16 xlr's on it and the 6 aux ins and outs on 1/4". Core just has the few 1/4" (2 or 3 I think).
They are only assignable to aux in's I believe.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby mycorn » Wed May 21, 2014 4:56 am

the auxes are freely assignable

they are line in A/D
no mic pre
[i use them for RF mic inputs]

you can patch them into regular channels

the outs are also freely assignable balanced D/A

the TRS connectors on the core are TB input and [stereo] monitor output
mycorn

Postby WurstWerner » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 am

That would give a combined output count of 22 (16 XLRs plus 6 1/4" jacks) which would hopefully provide me with 11 stereo mix buses.

Problem is, that you are limited to 16 mixbusses. Sure you can use f.e. matrix outs for feeding the Aux outputs though. Do know if thats fine for your setup.
BTW: I made the suggestion to the Behringer R&D to give us additional output boxes feeded from the P16 system. That would you us 16 freely selectable outputs on top.
Strange thing is, that they don't listen to me all the time ;)
WurstWerner

Postby shmick » Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 am

jlepore wrote:Rack or Core? Rack has 16 xlr's on it and the 6 aux ins and outs on 1/4". Core just has the few 1/4" (2 or 3 I think).
They are only assignable to aux in's I believe.

The X32 Rack - It has 16 XLR in, 8 XLR out plus 6 1/4" in and 6 1/4" out

WurstWerner wrote:Problem is, that you are limited to 16 mixbusses. Sure you can use f.e. matrix outs for feeding the Aux outputs though. Do know if thats fine for your setup.
BTW: I made the suggestion to the Behringer R&D to give us additional output boxes feeded from the P16 system. That would you us 16 freely selectable outputs on top.
Strange thing is, that they don't listen to me all the time ;)

I'm ok with 16 mix buses at this point, but I can see that as a limiting factor.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby jlklein » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm

So I've heard of a few reliability issues with the X32 Mixer itself (HW stuff mostly, and appears fixable and improving), but I'm more interested in how the Rack and Core models are holding up. I'm looking at a Core or Rack to begin with and later an S16 setup for our multipurpose gym, whose use is primarily basketball, youth events, weekly dinners, but also hosts the occasional small music or conference event. I currently have a roll-top-ish sound desk with an analog system and snake in there, and it'd be wonderful to have a rack mounted digital mixer in our wall rack that could be easily controlled via scenes for the layman without requiring us to pull out the desk, but also allow more involved mixing of the occasional music events via a laptop or iPad.

Then comes the real question...Midas came out with the M32, so are there plans for an M-Rack and M-Core? :)

Jeff
jlklein

Postby mycorn » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:05 am

no word yet on m-rack stuff

the mix engine is the same firmware as the X so a core is pretty pointless...
the M stuff is about better<?> faders and pre's
and a box that has some kind of faux cool factor

i bought a core because i already had 2 s16

it's not the most cost effective system from scratch
mycorn

Postby gdougherty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 am

Likely not, but if the DL16 ever sees daylight, it'd fit the bill tied into an x32 Rack. You'd only then possibly be missing slightly better converters on the aux ins, if the converters actually are different between the brands.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlklein » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 pm

mycorn wrote:no word yet on m-rack stuff
the mix engine is the same firmware as the X so a core is pretty pointless...
the M stuff is about better<?> faders and pre's
and a box that has some kind of faux cool factor

Yeah, I'd actually prefer the Rack more than the Core, as I already have two existing wall pockets run to one end of our gym and some local I/O at the wall rack that could plug right in and fit the bill quite nicely. Then I'd just need a stagebox and a CAT5e wall jack for the occasional sideways setup for music events, and just run that with a laptop or PC (or iPad!!) like our SAC system.

The Core just looked nice and simple from an easy front panel "choose one of 4 options and that's it!" for the everyday Wilbur.
The Rack does have scenes, too, though, and I admit I haven't researched the Rack enough to know how much I can lock people out of being their own worst enemy. If the Rack does have a "simple" interface setup option, that would work...just need to free up another U of rack space ;)

Thanks,
Jeff
jlklein

Postby RBIngraham » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Is there really any information somewhere that shows that the M32 is not just a X32 with a different name plate? Most of the marketing materials on the web site look to be pretty much the same to me.

Who knows, but to me the M32 looks like its just an X32 for those that are not allowed to use or purchase B gear. There is some minor differences in the level of hoopla over the preamp, but that is all I see as being different. So if the only differences are the preamps, then a core version would make no sense at all. A rack version only has 16 preamps I believe, so hard to say if it would make sence to have a rack or compact version of the M32.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby gdougherty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 am

RBIngraham wrote:Is there really any information somewhere that shows that the M32 is not just a X32 with a different name plate? Most of the marketing materials on the web site look to be pretty much the same to me.

Who knows, but to me the M32 looks like its just an X32 for those that are not allowed to use or purchase B gear. There is some minor differences in the level of hoopla over the preamp, but that is all I see as being different. So if the only differences are the preamps, then a core version would make no sense at all. A rack version only has 16 preamps I believe, so hard to say if it would make sence to have a rack or compact version of the M32.

Better preamps, nothing definitive on the converters. Supposedly the x32 converter chips are also 96K capable from people that have cracked the case, so those may or may not be better. The surface ergonomics are much nicer and all the physical pieces are more solid and durable. Haven't seen one to tell if the scribble strips or the screen is any better.

Otherwise, the processing may or may not be more powerful, but it would seem a waste unless they were going to fork the firmware and add more power, unless that's how it could have the headroom to step up to 96K down the road. It's still a smaller channel count than any of the pro series boards so would not eat into their sales there unless a 48 channel board is truly not required.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

PreviousNext

Return to Other DAW Discussion