IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Postby Jeffsco » Sun May 31, 2015 11:18 am

Made my first foray into a Wireless IEM system this past week. I'd like some advice as to the placement of Wireless Transmitter unit in relation to my SAC WiFi router.

I've got a very small footprint 24 in/ out SAC rack stagebox happening comprised of (1) Appsys ADAT extender, (3) ADA8000 and my AMPed WiFi Router.

I'd like some advice on placement of the IEM Transmitter in relation to it's proximity to the WiFi router. Can I get away with placing them side by side in the Rack? or will their be issues with either of them even though they operate in 2 different frequency spectrums? What does interference sound like when it exists?

The back story is that I'm not sure the unit is functioning properly. I've had a certain level of problems dialing in a clear signal. Sounds as if one side of the transmitter feed was blown....but then it seemed to go away. Changed cords out.....changed outputs on the preamps...it sounds great running directly into a couple of different headphone amps. Then the signal seems to get a lock and clears up.

Is this normal?

Comments and idea's appreciated.
Jeffsco

Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Postby BrentEvans » Sun May 31, 2015 12:13 pm

WiFi has a tendency to induct into audio circuits. Normally it sounds like static or popping/clicking.
BrentEvans

Postby Jeffsco » Sun May 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Brent: How far away should the WiFi be to avoid this?
Jeffsco

Postby BrentEvans » Sun May 31, 2015 2:15 pm

Normally a foot or two is enough.
BrentEvans

Postby jlepore » Sun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

And as someone mentioned in the other place without explanation ... All bets are off on the line6 stuff. They are using 2.4g so the interfere with wifi or vice versa depending on who has a stronger signal.

In reality, transmit and receive antennas should be kept as far as practical from each other's. Even if they are not on the same frequencies, they still tend to emit enough signal that can overwhelm a receiver or mask the lower powered signal you are actually looking for.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby IraSeigel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 am

jlepore wrote:...In reality, transmit and receive antennas should be kept as far as practical from each other's. Even if they are not on the same frequencies, they still tend to emit enough signal that can overwhelm a receiver or mask the lower powered signal you are actually looking for.

My experience with these also makes me very careful to ask if a venue has wireless intercom, and to make sure my wireless rack - or the antennas - is set up far from their wireless com transmitter. In several theaters I've been in, when the venue powers up their com - not something they typically do early in the load-in process - it completely overwhelms all my receivers, no matter what frequency they're tuned to. So be aware of wireless coms in venues.
IraSeigel

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:35 pm

IraSeigel wrote:My experience with these also makes me very careful to ask if a venue has wireless intercom, and to make sure my wireless rack - or the antennas - is set up far from their wireless com transmitter. In several theaters I've been in, when the venue powers up their com - not something they typically do early in the load-in process - it completely overwhelms all my receivers, no matter what frequency they're tuned to. So be aware of wireless coms in venues.

Wireless COM has bitten me in the ass more times than I can want to admit and even in venues where I was in charge of the space. Oppps! :oops:

Not only do you want to keep the base station in mind but also the packs themselves. And keep in mind that each one of those packs is on a separate frequency. This is why lately if I can get venues to pony up the bucks I specify the Clear-Com Tempest in the 900 MHz spectrum. No issues with UHF mics, no issues with Wi-Fi in the 2.4GHz range which is where a lot of the newer wireless COM is going.

It's a decent balance between moving out of the UHF spectrum and it bends around objects and is less spotty in general than 2.4GHz.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby IraSeigel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:17 pm

RBIngraham wrote:... This is why lately if I can get venues to pony up the bucks I specify the Clear-Com Tempest in the 900 MHz spectrum. No issues with UHF mics, no issues with Wi-Fi in the 2.4GHz range which is where a lot of the newer wireless COM is going. It's a decent balance between moving out of the UHF spectrum and it bends around objects and is less spotty in general than 2.4GHz.

Great info, RB. Thanks for this post.
IraSeigel

Postby mattseymour » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Everything's going in 2.4ghz, it's chaos in there ;)
mattseymour

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:40 am

mattseymour wrote:Everything's going in 2.4ghz, it's chaos in there ;)

Yeah, all the more reason to avoid buying that shit.

I would not be at all surprised to see VHF mics make a comeback. I know many a wireless mic guru that has kept their older VHF gear (from the days when there was good shit that worked in the VHF range) just for this reason. Sure the antenna is longer, but it almost never gets stepped on. :)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Next

Return to SAC Discussion